Monday, September 5, 2011

Salsa Dancing

For the past three months I've been taking salsa lesson and I'm having a rediculous amount of fun.

My initial research into the schools showed that there was an amazing amount of classes available considering the small size of Adelaide.


Reviewing the websites I found only one that I could understand easily, the staff friendly and responsive, and the classes fit into my schedule, it was:
The other studio's I looked at:
Originally I wanted to take as many classes with different teachers as I could so that I could have a good range of styles to draw from. But, the travel time between studios made it difficult to fit more than one or two classes a night.

I started out with just the basics, taking three absolute beginner classes Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday I had a single ballroom class with a different studio. The people I met were nice, and I started having fun.


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
6:30
Absolute Beginners
Absolute Beginners
Absolute Beginners

7:30



Ballroom


At about four weeks in it was suggested by my teachers that I attempt to jump into second beginners, and it was a challenge, but I really took to it. Jumping in above my level was really rewarding when I got the moves correct. and now I had another two classes I could do Tuesday and Wednesday.

Wednesday classes were casual at the Arkaba Hotel, and there was always a social dance afterwards. Not easy to do since its mid week and I have to get home to sleep the next day. My first Wednesday social night one of my teachers requested a dance, and so I danced salsa in public for the first time. It was great, even though I only knew the basic, cross body lead and a right turn.

I started doing a bit of reading online too, a particular forum with lots of sticky posts was particularly helpful to keep my mind and spirit in the right place. salsaforums.com

Around this time I had decided to drop the balroom lessons, mainly because the students consisted of primarily elderly couples, and there was no changing partners, so I tended to get stuck with single elderly women with no rythm and very slow learning capabilities. Now I have no problem dancing with elderly women, but I dont fancy paying money, being unable to relate to my fellow students and helping someone struggle through the absolute basics of a style, however I would do it for free. I also wanted to concentrate soley on salsa.

At about 8 weeks I finished the absolutely beginner courses and started second beginners. I was invited to an intermediate performance class which, while flattering, I knew I was out of my depth. But, I did it anyway :P and I dropped the absolute beginner classes, and decided on jumping into intermediate 1 classes too, just because I love a challenge. I also took some private lessons to bring me up to speed.

There was also a lack of boys in the Tuesday absolute beginner class so I was offered to help out for free, who can say no to free classes?.. not me.
So my schedule now looked something like, the below.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
18:30
Advanced Beginners
Absolute Beginners
Absolute Beginners
A couple of private lessons. 

19:30
Intermediate 1
Advanced Beginners
Advanced Beginners

Studio Student Social every second week
20:30

Intermediate 1
Intermediate 1
Intermediate Performance




Hmm nine classes a week, I'm really getting into this.

I skipped the first two weeks of the next set of classes to travel to Russia and be the best man for my brothers wedding, which was AMAZING!! much love to Bannie and Katya.

When I got back there was a new Columbian style class on thursday, and I was invited to the mens shines performance also on a thursday. YAY!

Wow my schedule was filling up. I'm doing eleven classes a week, every Wednesday social night, every second Friday social night, parties on saturdays occasionally, drinking with mates and dancing. Didn't know I would get into it this much. And its only been three months.


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
18:30
Advanced Beginners
Absolute Beginners
Absolute Beginners
Beginners Columbian Style

19:30
Intermediate 1
Advanced Beginners
Advanced Beginners
Mens Shines Performance
Studio Student Social every second week
20:30

Intermediate 1
Intermediate 1
Intermediate Performance

21:30


Performance Practice




At one point I had lots of time between work and class that I started going to the pub beforehand, even a single pint effected my ability to learn, so I stopped after that week. I dont want to let my classmates down by being a moron through drinking, especially with the performance classes.

I've found that I learn new steps in the more advanced classes, and I learn how to be a better lead in the less advanced classes.

I always learn something from everyone I dance with, however small.

And I'm making some friends, which for me is difficult.