Livestreaming 03 - Success, mostly

Once again I'm going to write down my thoughts on how things went for Smiddy and I during the live streaming thingo we do on Sundays.

Firstly, I was early by 15 minutes, thats a good start, we gave ourselves an extra hour to figure out the setup, and our online testing and experimentation of using netcat to pipe stream data to each other helped us troubleshoot the simple script errors we encountered early on. we got all the streams we wanted setup with about five minutes to spare before our self appointed timeslot.

Then we started the introduction, and after a few minutes Smiddy noticed we weren't streaming audio, DOH. After a re-start, things tended towards the smooth.

The challenges I felt with having an actual working streaming thingo was that I was actually live as me on the internet... shit shit shit... oh well, keep going and it will become normalised. The internet is a scary place, and I hope not to get noticed by scary types. Only luck will prevail.

After concluding the stream we noticed that Smiddy's audio was very echoey, so were going to have to do some testing on that.

Our audio levelling worked ok though, so neither of us was too quiet or too loud.

I did sort of give away too much personal information about myself, just through the use of my computer, and I suppose I should sanitise my computer from my personal life a little before we start streaming. Maybe create a new user just for that purpose.

But it worked, and not only that we worked on something simple that we managed to get going in a relatively short period. I often procrastinate starting simple things because I think larger and want to get a more robust solution. but the simple timeframe of a stream doesn't allow all encompassing problems so it keeps my goals tiny.

We followed the first tutorial link to qt we googled. there was a little bit of fudging to make things work, but we got there. I'm pretty sure that from this point, I can now make something rudimentarily useful.

So it appears as though we have our basic setup working ok now. show up at one, get things working, plan, start livestreaming at 2pm, try to do something useful.

I have been talking to a few people I know about whether they would like to guest on the stream later on when we have built some consistency and workflow and they all seemed highly enthusiastic.

I mean we're shit, but thats ok.

Here's a link to the stream:
https://youtu.be/puLTfmgrtpY